msmobiles.com - Skype for Pocket PC - 1.2 beta - released - the best VoIP gets betterSkype for Pocket PC - 1.2 beta - released - the best VoIP gets better
December 17, 2005 [Pocket PC]
Before Skype the only voice over IP (VoIP) software for Pocket PC were some strange and difficult to use SIP soft-phones. Skype not only brought VoIP revolution to Pocket PC, but also due to the fact that it is (yet) not available for Symbian, it constitutes also a good reason to buy a Windows Mobile phone rather than Symbian.
The new version brings several very interesting improvements and can be considered as one of the most important releases of Skype for Pocket PC:
there are two versions to download. Version 126.96.36.199 is the preferred one for 400+ MHz devices, and 188.8.131.52, which says “recommended if your Pocket PC has a CPU of 312 MHz”, should actually read “312 MHz or less”. The second one has been optimized to work well on devices slower than 400 MHz. Otherwise, they are the same.
Lots of new things in this release — most importantly:
* supported operating systems: Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC and Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC.
* languages: English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Japanese
* supported displays: 240x320, 480,640, portrait and landscape, 240x240 and 480x480.
* supported networks: WiFi/802.11, 3G/UMTS or EDGE.
* voice quality improvements
* extended screen support
* Skype Voicemail: you can receive and send voicemail. The thing you can’t do, though, is update your greeting lots of bugs fixed - see the change log for details
* download page of Skype for Pocket PC
* less official information about Pocket PC 1.2 Beta (you can post your comments there)
* very detailed change log of Skype of Pocket PC